Activities of the International Sport Directorate
The International Sport Directorate seeks to enhance Canadian influence in the international sport milieu. As well, it gathers and monitors information on the global sport policy environment, and promotes best practices in policy and program development in Canada. The International Sport Strategy guides the work of the International Sport Directorate.
- participation in key international sport fora; e.g., Commonwealth Sport Ministers, the Sport Council of the Americas (only available in Spanish), etc.;
- bilateral sport agreements with selected countries;
- participation in international fora relating to specific sport policy issues such as, World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), Sport for Development and Peace International Working Group, the International Working Group on Women and Sport (IWG);
- advocating for sport with key partners such as UNESCO, the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT), etc.;
- creating opportunities for Canadian and international exchange of Canadian and international expertise – roundtables, expert exchanges, working groups, etc.;
- creating strategic alliances to advance Canadian sport interests.